May/June '26

On May 14th, our family returned to the U.S. in time for Sabrina and Victoria to participate in a bridal shower leading up to the wedding of our oldest child, Mark Joseph Jr. The ceremony took place on June 5th in Livingston, Louisiana, and we thrilled to add a wonderful daughter-in-law, Joy (Waddington) to our family. Joseph and Joy [pictured with our dear Nigerian friends] honeymooned at Yellowstone, joined Sabrina’s home church in Baton Rouge, and have settled into an apartment near his work at the Hammond airport. 

Before our travels, Truth Baptist Church celebrated its 20th Anniversary [pictured] on the second Sunday of May. For the special occasion, we were honored to host Robert and Rhoda Smith, missionaries in Barbados who served in Nigeria for nine years; they were the biggest inspirations for us to come to Nigeria when we first met them in the early 2000’s. After traveling to Ibadan, Bro. Smith then preached the 11th Anniversary service for Grace & Glory Baptist Church.  

At the beginning of our furlough, I had the honor of preaching a full Sunday for our sending church, Faith Baptist in Gulfport. Though our second son, Brian, is working throughout the summer at Pensacola Christian College to prepare financially for his second year, we’ve been able to visit several times with him. At the end of May, our family joyfully participated in a youth camp in Louisiana [Victoria teaching a class during camp]. We’ve already had the opportunity to report on our work at several supporting churches, including a trip to California in late June.    

With the graduations of our three oldest kids and Joseph’s wedding, our family has been visiting the U.S. annually around May, on time to participate in the weeklong youth camp, Summer Missionary Institute for Training and Evangelism. This schedule, combined with our experience in helping to start 8 S.M.I.T.E. camps in 6 countries [SMITE New England pictured], has prompted Sabrina’s home church to ask me to assist Pastor Alan Bartlett in directing Louisiana’s S.M.I.T.E. Begun in 1978, S.M.I.T.E. Louisiana was the setting where Sabrina and I first met in 1997, and S.M.I.T.E. Africa owes its 17-year fruitful history to the camp and its founder, Jerry Purtell. This news has been met with much anticipation in our Nigerian ministries as we believe together that the influence of S.M.I.T.E. will raise up more missionaries, both in America and Africa.

Robert Smith, BIMI missionary in Barbados and longtime friend and mentor, tells about his visit with us in his prayer letter: 



No comments: